Hello Everyone! This is my first ever entry into the Blogger’s Quilt Festival. I’m so excited to be able to participate this year. For those of you who don’t know me, my name is Darcie Mair, and I’m a self-proclaimed quilt addict. And now enough about me, let’s get to the quilt (which is why you all are here anyway). 🙂
The quilt measures 96 inches by 96 inches, the biggest quilt I’ve made to date. I used a slightly modified (to make it bigger) verson Jaybird Quilts’ pattern “Framed Coins” from her book “Skip the Borders.” You can find her blog and book here.
This quilt was made for my best friend Shannon. The idea for the quilt was decided on a whim. We were both in a wedding (about two years ago) for our other friend. During the wedding we spent a lot of time together (as bridesmaids usually do). We were staying at Shannon’s house and she was perusing a magazine one evening we had some small down time. She came across an outrageously girly zebra print bedspread and made a small comment something to the effect of “I like zebra stripes; I need a new comforter”.
I just turned and looked at her and said “Done and Done”. And then the quilt was made. I immediately thought of this pattern to use, it just screamed Shannon. Then all that was left was for her to pick the color, and for me to find some zebra print fabric. 🙂 Good thing she’s my best friend because I don’t make just anyone a quilt this big on a whim. LOL
My quilt holders were a little short on one end. You should have seen them teetering on folding chairs desperately trying to hold up the quilt long enough for me to snap a good picture. Maybe in the future I’ll have to find some taller help. 🙂
On to the details. For the purple I used Kona Wisteria, Crocus, Tulip, and Purple. The black and white prints are a random assortment (and impossible to name them all). The actual construction of the quilt was actually pretty easy and kind of fun playing with the layout of all the blocks.
The back of the quilt was pieced together using scraps from the front and polka dots. I love polka dots. 🙂 Any chance I get to use them I do.
This back and I have a love-hate relationship. It started out really awesome, until I ran into partial seams, short sides, and too little fabric. I had to really scrape together enough fabric leftover to get a back big enough to quilt the darn thing. There may have been a few swear words floating out from the sewing room that day…
The quilting of this “beast” really gave my arms, shoulders, and tiny machine a workout. I may or may not have looked into buying a used long arm machine because of this project. (And am still entertaining the idea even though this project is finished)
At first I thought free motion quilting would be the easiest because I could work in small sections…yeah….no. I ended up using a walking foot and straight lines to give my arms a break. I used a purple variegated sulky thread that blended the four shades of purple nicely.
The result ended up really nice. You can’t see it in the picture, but in each black and white rectangle I quilted an X. I think the straight lines help bring out the purple nicely. Or maybe that’s just my opinion because it is really the only quilt pattern that would work. 😉
Also, check out that binding! It is from Lotta Jansdotter’s new line “Sylvia” that I purchased at Crimson Tate. Gotta love a great local shop with a fabulous owner to help pick out binding for you. 🙂